Jalebi Instant and Traditional Recipe
Jalebi delicious crunchy on the outside and sweet juicy inside, rustic golden spirals that make a centerpiece at every festival and celebration in India. People like it for breakfast and love it in the dessert. Some like it hot and crispy, others prefer it soft and at room temperature. It can be either served with sweet rabdi, cold sour yogurt, or salty fafda. It’s tough to not pick one when you see a pile of Jalebi gleaming in golden syrup.
As a dessert, you can easily make your favorite ‘Jalebi’ at home for a family get-together, house party, festivals, and many other occasions.
Ingredients for batter of Jalebi:
- 250 grams Refined wheat flour (maida) 2 cups
- 32 grams Rice flour/ Corn flour/ Besan 4 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 240 grams Yogurt/ Curd 1 cup
- Pinch of Food colour yellow or orange or turmeric powder
- 2 cups Ghee or cooking oil for frying jalebis
- 1½ teaspoon Vinegar for instant Jalebi batter (only for Instant jalebi batter)
Ingredients for Chachni (Suger syrup):
- 400 grams Sugar 2 cups
- 300 ml Water 1½ cup
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Rose water (optional)
- 8-10 strands of Saffron
Recipe for making jalebis (for instant batter follow part A, for traditional follow Part B)
Part A: Instant Jalebi batter (Preparation time 10 min.)
- Mix maida and corn flour, baking soda in a bowl. Now add 1 teaspoon ghee and add yogurt or curd into it.
- Add 1 and half teaspoon vinegar, You can put food yellow/ orange color if colour is not available then add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder to this mixture.
- Beat the batter with whisk in circular motion for 5 to 6 minutes.
- The batter has to be thick but it should have flowing consistency or easy to drip, so add water carefully.
Part B : Traditional Jalebi batter (Preparation time 12 to 14 hours)
- Mix maida and rice flour/ besan, baking soda in a bowl.
- Now add 1/2 tablespoon ghee and add yogurt or curd into it.
- You can put edible yellow/ orange color if colour is not available then 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder to this mixture.
- Keep adding water till it becomes flowing consistency. Cover it and Keep it overnight for 12 to 14 hours for fermentation until the batter gets small bubbles on top then batter is ready.
Recipe for making sugar syrup for Jalebi:
- Heat water in a pan on medium flame to make syrup. Add the sugar and mix until it dissolves completely.
- Let the mixture remain on low flame until the sting is formed.
- Add saffron, cardamom powder and rose essence (optional) yellow or orange edible colour or add pinch of turmeric powder to it. Stir well.
Recipe for making Jalebi:
- Now heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Now fill Jalebi batter in a muslin cloth and make a small hole in it or you can also use squeezable sauce bottle or dispenser with sharp tip for better results.
- Press this cloth and make round rings. Make the perfect rings from the inside to the outside.
- Fry them till the jalebi crisps.
- Then add these jalebis in the sugar syrup for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Take care not to overheat the syrup. Now put butter paper or foil paper in a tray and take them out.
- Garnish it with chopped dry fruits and serve.