Shahi Pulao Recipe
This Shahi Pulao recipe is a royal dish, that has a perfect blend of spices that you can make for a special dinner and weekend lunch. The addition of spices and dry fruits, along with saffron and Authentic Basmati Rice heightens the flavour of the dish. There are more than 200 types of pulao dishes in India some of them are Zarda pulao, Chicken pulao, Matar pulao, Kashmiri pulao, Tava pulao, Paneer pulao, Aloo gobhi pulao, etc.
In this recipe, the rice is cooked separately along with the spices. The vegetables are roasted along with the nuts and then stirred into the cooked rice. This method of cooking helps retain the colours of the vegetable and the pulao taste delicious.
Shahi Pulao is one of the famous Indian veg rice dishes made by cooking fragrant basmati rice with aromatic spices, herbs, vegetables, and dry fruits. Shahi pulao is often made in many Indian homes. It is the most common menu for parties, home gatherings, and buffets. You can even prepare it as a meal for the office and school lunch box.
Shahi Pulao Recipe
- 500 grams Basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon Ghee / clarified butter
- 2 tablespoon Cashew / Kaju halves
- 2 tablespoon Raisins / kishmish
- 2 tablespoon Almond/badam (half pieces)
- 1 no. Bay leaf (Tez patta)
- 1 no. Star anise (chakra phool)
- 1 inch Cinnamon piece
- 4 nos. Cloves
- 2 pods Cardamom
- ½ teaspoon Shah jeera
- 1 no. Chopped onion medium sized
- 1 each Chopped potato and carrot medium sized
- 1 teaspoon Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon Green peas/ matar
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 tablespoon Saffron milk Soak 7-8 saffron strands in 2 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon Chopped mint/pudina
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Ingredients photo
- Steps for preparing Shahi pulao:
- First, rinse the rice a few times till the water runs clear, then soak it and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes. Meantime prepare the other ingredients.
- Heat ½ tablespoons ghee in a cooking pot and add the below spices into it and roast them on low flame till they sizzle. - Bay leaf (Tez Patta), Cardamoms, Cloves, Cinnamon piece and Star anise (chakra phool)
- When spices start sizzling add 1½ bowl (same bowl used for measuring rice) water in it and ½ teaspoon salt. Let's Bring the water to a rolling boil.
- Now add soaked and drained rice to it and mix it well by stirring gently. Cook on medium flame till water is absorbed then cover the cooking pot with a lid and let rice cooked completely.
- In other kadhai heat 1 and ½ tbsp ghee and roast 2 tbsp cashew, 2 tbsp almonds and 2 tbsp raisins till it turns golden brown. roast on a low flame. Then remove it and keep it aside.
- In the same ghee add 1 tsp shah jeera, chopped onions. saute until onions turn light golden brown, then add 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste.
- Now add chopped potatoes, carrots, and 2 tablespoons of Green peas (Matar).
- Further, add ½ teaspoon turmeric, ½ teaspoon salt (as per your taste), 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala then add saffron milk into it and then add cooked rice into it, mix well gently making sure everything is well combined.
- Cover kadhai with a lid. allow it to cook on low flame for two minutes, to infuse the aroma and flavour of its ingredients into the rice.
- At the end add fried nuts, chopped coriander and mint leaves, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice into it and finally mix it, stir it gently by making sure everything is combined well.
- Finally, your Shahi pulao is ready to serve. You can serve it with curd and papad.