Sheer khurma | Seviyan kheer | Vermicelli recipe
Sheer khurma or sheer khorma is a Persian word for milk and dates. It is a festival vermicelli (Seviyan) pudding prepared by Muslims on Eid ul-Fitr (Ramadan) and Eid al-Adha (Bakrid). It is a traditional Muslim festive breakfast and a dessert for celebrations. This dish is made from various dry fruits, vermicelli (Seviyan), milk, sugar, etc. Depending on the region, cardamom, pistachios, almonds, saffron, raisins are also added.
This special dish is served on the morning of Eid day in the family and friends after the Eid prayer as breakfast. It is very popular throughout the Indian subcontinent and Central Asia. As a child, I remember Sheer Khurma was mentioned in the school book in the information about Ramadan. Ever since then, it has been imprinted on my mind. The first thing that comes to my mind is a bowl full of sheer dates! The delicately made Seviyan and dried fruit kheer, the beautiful color of the saffron sticks spread on the mind, and the light aroma of the cardamom that soothes the senses. The month of Ramadan comes to witness the completion of the sheer khurma!
So don’t forget to wish your Muslim friends during this holy month of Ramadan and enjoy the homemade Sheer Khurma!
Today I am going to share my secret recipe of Sheer khurma which I learned from my Mom.
Let’s start the recipe with secret tricks and tips.
Course: – Dessert
Prep Time: – 10 Minutes
Cooking time: – 15 Minutes
Total Time: – 25 Minutes
Servings: – 10 Peoples
Sheer khurma Recipe Video:
Ingredients for Sheer khurma recipe:
2 liters – full cream Milk
150 gms – Vermicelli (Seviyan)
300 gms – Sugar (as per your taste)
100 gms – unsweetened Khoya
2 teaspoon – Cardamom powder
100 gms – dry Dates
25 gms – chopped Cashew nuts
100 ml – Ghee (clarified Butter)
25 gms – chopped Almonds
25 gms – chopped Pistachios
20-25 nos. – Saffron strands
25 gms – Walnuts
25 gms – Chironji/Charoli nuts (Calumpang nuts)
2 pinches or 1/8 teaspoon – Nutmeg powder
2 pinches or 1/8 teaspoon – Baking soda
Method for preparing Sheer khurma with step by step photos:
1 – Frist of all soak all dry fruits in separate bowls in water for 3-4 hours before chopping them.
After 4 hours drain all water from dry fruits and peel off the skin of pistachios, almonds, walnuts, and charoli nuts before chopping them (Roast charoli nuts a little bit, so its skin can be peeled off easily) Remove seeds from soaked dates and then chopped them into small pieces.
2 – Boil the milk in a heavy bottom cooking pot, remove its top cream (malai) in a separate bowl and keep it aside.
3 – Now heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a heavy bottom pan or kadhai on medium flame, and fry almonds, cashew, and pistachios nuts together for 1 minute. When it turns light golden brown then remove it on a plate.
4 – Further fry Charoli nuts for a minute and then transfer them to the same plate.
5 – Now break Vermicelli (Seviyan) sticks to half an inch size and fry it for a minute till it gets aromatic then keep aside.
6 – Now add 1 tablespoon ghee in a kadhai, then fry walnuts and then dates for a minute and transfer it to a separate plate, and turn of the gas flame.
7 – Add half of the fried dates to a fried dry fruits plate and combine it and keep aside.
8 – Blend the remaining half quantity of fried walnuts and dates together and prepare its fine paste.
Preparing dry fruits and khoya paste:
9 – Further heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a kadhai and add this walnuts and dates paste into it and fry it for a minute. Then add milk cream (malai), a cup of milk, and add baking soda. (don’t forget to add a pinch of baking soda to this at this stage otherwise, milk will be spilt while cooking) Cook well for a minute. Then add khoya to it and again cook with continuously stirring up to 1 boil. Then turn off the flame and keep it aside.
10 – Now it’s time to combine all material. Start boiling milk on a very low flame and add a pinch of baking soda, sugar, saffron strands, cardamom powder and keep stirring continuously.
11 – After 1 boil add all fried dry fruits and cook for a minute. Then add mixture prepared in step-9 khoya, dates and walnuts mixture to this, keep stirring otherwise it turns into lumps
12 – Finally add Vermicelli (Seviyan) to milk and cook for 2 minutes, after 2 minutes turn off the flame.
13 – After few minutes add little ghee and nutmeg powder on the top of sheer khurma and cover the lid.
Your Sher khurma is ready.
It’s my personal suggestion is to serve sheer khurma After 1 or 2 hours from its preparation time.
Serve it hot and enjoy it.
Tips for Sheer khurma:
1 – Soak dry fruits overnight for better results.
2 – It’s my personal suggestion is to serve sheer khurma After 1 or 2 hours from its preparation time. by that time dry fruits become soft and sheer khurma becomes creamy.
3 – Don’t forget to add a pinch of baking soda while boiling milk to prevent splitting and preserve it for a long time (2 to 3 days).
4 – Add more vermicelli (Seviyan) if you want thick sheer khurma.
Sheer khurma | Seviyan kheer | Vermicelli recipe
- 2 liters full cream Milk
- 150 grams Vermicelli (Seviyan)
- 300 grams Sugar (as per your taste)
- 100 grams unsweetened Khoya
- 2 teaspoons Cardamom powder
- 100 grams dry Dates
- 25 grams chopped Cashew nuts
- 100 ml Ghee (clarified Butter)
- 25 grams chopped Almonds
- 25 grams chopped Pistachios
- 20-25 nos. Saffron strands
- 25 grams Walnuts
- 25 grams Chironji/Charoli nuts (Calumpang nuts)
- 2 pinch Nutmeg powder (⅛ teaspoon)
- 2 pinch Baking soda (⅛ teaspoon)
- First of all soak all dry fruits in separate bowls in water for 3-4 hours before chopping them. Then peel off its skin
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottom cooking pot, remove its top cream (malai) in a separate bowl and keep it aside.
- Fry dry fruits in Ghee.
- Break Vermicelli (Seviyan) sticks to half an inch size and fry them for a minute.
- Blend half quantity of fried walnuts and dates together and prepare its fine paste.
- Fry above paste for a minute, then add malai, 1 cup milk, 1 pinch of baking soda, and khoya. Keep stirring continuously till boiling.
- Start boiling milk on a very low flame and add a pinch of baking soda, sugar, saffron strands, cardamom powder and keep stirring continuously.
- After 1 boil add fried dry fruits and cook for a minute.
- Then add mixture prepared in step-6 khoya, dates and walnuts mixture to this, keep stirring otherwise it turns in to lumps
- Finally, add Vermicelli (Seviyan) to milk and cook for 2 minutes, after 2 minutes turn off the flame.
- After few minutes add little ghee and nutmeg powder on the top of sheer khurma and cover the lid.
- Your Sher khurma is ready.